Monday, May 12, 2008

Back-up singer - 9

Make a back-up plan for this evening to accommodate unexpected changes in direction.

I am the Queen of back-up plans. No really. I don't know if it's because I never expect to get what I want so I always have the next-best-thing ready to go, or if I'm channeling my inner Girl Scout.

I wasn't always this way, and I can't quite recall when it started though I'm sure it had something to do with my children. Can't have disappointed children, for Pete's sake, better have another plan waiting in the wings. It could also be the part of my personality that hates to disappoint people. You don't like my song and dance? Fine, how about this tune?

I think we would all be better off if everyone had back-up plans. Think about it: what if G.W. had a back-up plan "in case" no weapons of mass destruction were found? What if Michigan had had a back-up plan "in case" most of the Democratic candidates pulled out of our new primary date? What if Kwame...well, what if Kwame had paid for his own freakin' PDA?

I still get surprised by life, but am rarely without a way to turn. Husband used to say that my method of doing things was to spray bullets at the wall and hope that one of them hit the target. Now I don't use as many bullets, I have more targets.

And in case you're wondering, I did have a back-up plan for tonight. Husband had to work late so Son had to attend the figure skating club banquet with Daughter and I because I just couldn't find anywhere to park him. Fed him his favorite foods for dinner, stuffed his pockets full of Star Wars Lego's and got him juice and bread. Told him I would take him home if he got too absolutely bored/tired, but Husband came through and picked him up so I could enjoy the rest of the banquet. I was prepared to leave and beg someone to give Daughter a ride home, but didn't need to. I can save that back-up plan for use at a later date.

No comments: