Saturday, May 24, 2008

Just doing my duty - 10

Family issues can distract you now from other things you want to do. Parental duties may be required.

Today I was Angry Mom. Daughter had a sleepover last night and she and her friends wanted to go to the mall. I know, it was a gorgeous day outside and they wanted to go indoors and look at clothes they can't afford and drink Frappachinos! I have one rule with Daughter when she is out with friends and no parents, she MUST answer her cell phone.

I ran out to do some errands then called her phone to let her know she'd have another 40 minutes because I had take the groceries home. No answer. Tried again. No answer. No answer. No answer. No answer. No answer. I turned the car around and headed towards the mall, hanging up and redialing every time I heard the beginning of her obnoxious outgoing message with her and her friends screaming into the phone. No answer. No answer. No answer.

I parked at the mall. In the last spot; who would have thought it would be packed on a gorgeous day of a holiday weekend? Redialed and she finally answered. I said "Get to the south entrance in 2 minutes or you are grounded for a month." Went back to the car, picked her up.

I was so mad I could barely see straight. I had been so worried for the half hour that she didn't answer and all that panic was trying to escape as seething anger. She apologized, swore her phone had been sitting right besides her the whole time.

I calmed down quickly, I knew she really was sorry. And I know she knew, but I told her anyway that I was angry because I had been so frightened. Though I think I scared her friends.

No comments: