Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Why is there a cat crying outside my window?

Enjoy some comfort food, some great big hugs and that wonderful sound your cat makes while it happily kneads your lap. This rare and wonderful thing you're experiencing is called contentment. You've earned it, and it's now your duty to enjoy it.

Seriously wish I'd read this before I ordered the ahi tuna salad for dinner instead of the club sandwich. There is something about the J. Alexander french fries - and I swear they put something addictive in their ketchup too.

Feel horrible that I shirked my comfort food duty - though .... I really didn't. Stop reading here if you have a weak stomach.

I grew up in the era before pizzas were delivered in thirty minutes or less and were the dinner of choice for parents to give their kids when the sitter was coming. Whenever we had sitters coming my mother made pot pies. This was before microwaves too, so she had to remember to preheat the oven and put them in an hour before they were leaving, all while she was trying to make herself gorgeous and get the hell out of the house and keep four obnoxious kids occupied with only 3 television stations to choose from (Hee Haw anyone?).


I don't know why I thought those pot pies were so good. Maybe it was because they were so different from anything mom usually made. Now I know it's probably because of all the salt and MSG and flavorings they put in frozen food.

So pot pies are one of my comfort foods. Now, I recently discovered that Campbell's Chunky soup has a flavor called .... Turkey Pot Pie! And that's what I had for lunch today, with my own special twist. I've discovered that if you crumble 6-8 saltine crackers into this thick, creamy, chunky soup (don't even look at the food label, you don't want to know the numbers) you can nearly perfectly recreate that salty crust texture.

And I am aware that I can just go to the store and buy a frozen pot pie. But have you read the labels on those?

5 comments:

Chip Duford said...

Things that I remember as comfort foods ... (recently) The Chicken Corn Chowder at the 8th Street Grille (all you can eat) ... toss some bacon bits and croutons in (the big ones) and yummmm.

When you said 'made' pot pies, I literally thought you meant she made them from scratch which I didn't remember. Pot pies, however, continue to be comfort food, much to the discontentment of my parents, who continually look in the freezer to see they're all out. Mea culpa! Mea Culpa!!

What do I NOT remember as comfort food? The scottish dish/experiment called 'Finnan Haddy' ... NIGHTMARE!!!! It is, without a doubt, the single most memorable dish of my youth ... and NOT in a good way!! :P

Another Memorable one that got favorable ratings (if made properly and eaten quickly enough) was 'End Of The World.' Basically curly egg noodles, ground beef and mushroom soup.

Stacey said...

End of the World was named End of the World because it tasted like the destruction of all mankind. It was NOT good.

Chip Duford said...

What can I say? my palate had not yet elevated itself to it's superior heights!

Amy said...

Bet you don't fight over the Banquet pies from our youth. It's Marie Callender's now, isn't it?

And my girls love End of the World.

Do you remember Gravy Train? Basically EOTW with potatos instead of macaroni. Wasn't particularly fond of that one.

Stacey said...

Isn't Gravy Train DOG FOOD?