Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Make it work 9

What others think of your work is overly important to you now, perhaps because you are a bit insecure about the quality of what you do. But being concerned about someone else's judgment is not as useful as learning how to develop your own critical eye.

How could I NOT be feeling this way when I was hired to improv and be funny with strangers on the street? Yikes! I was totally insecure today about the quality of my work; did I over-promise? Was I too cocky? Did I talk my way into a gig that I can't follow through on? I have the oddest mixture of "skills" and I'm insecure about them because sometimes I wonder if they are even applicable in the real world. And is it really a "skill" to be able to stick a microphone in a stranger's face and ask them a ridiculous question?

I guess if you can do it without making them run away, it is.

My critical eye says I pulled it off. I evoked lots of responses, they collected lots of bites, and we finished much earlier than I expected.

THAT is what I do.

No comments: