Thursday, June 5, 2008

Who's afraid of the unemployed wolf? - 2

Wear or carry jet or onyx stones to eliminate any fears you have about the future, as they'll increase your faith that everything is unfolding according to a higher plan. An amazing secret will be revealed to you under tonight's Cancer Moon, and it will change your view of someone considerably.

So THAT was the problem today.... no jet or onyx stones. Because I was not eliminating fears about the future AT ALL! In fact, I'm pretty sure what I was doing can only be described as panicking. How will I pay for skating? Who will invest in my documentary? I have no freakin' skills, how can I ever find a JOB?

I was in such panic-mode this morning that I actually scoured the Help Wanted sections of two papers. This is what was available: Accountant, Graphic Designer, Sales, Tree Climber. Oh, and Dental Hygienist, which is ridiculous because I won't even put my hands into my own mouth. I can handle broken arms, gaping wounds, and projectile vomit but loose teeth FREAK ME OUT.

My dad's Body Phobia is blood. I didn't know this until I got my tonsils out when I was 18 and a freshman in college. My tonsils had been rotten for years (don't ask) and I finally had them out between semesters, right after Christmas. On New Year's Eve I ended up spitting up blood and my mother insisted on taking me to the ER. My father thought we were overreacting. Unfortunately, he was wrong. My throat was basically.... - well, they cauterized it (which is like having skin seared shut with a curling iron). I didn't even make it to the parking lot before I was spitting up blood again and ended up having emergency surgery and stitches put into my throat.

OMG - you totally didn't need to know all this.

All you needed to know is my dad felt so guilty (about the overreacting accusation) that when I woke up the next morning he was sitting beside me in the hospital room holding a terrarium and looking very concerned.

Which would have been a really great father/daughter moment if I hadn't immediately started barfing up all the blood that had been leaking into my stomach from the bad tonsillectomy.

I have never seen my father move so fast. He ran from the room so quickly that I wasn't sure he'd really even been there. The terrarium was my only clue.

My daughter has the same phobia, btw, which I totally don't get. But if you start talking about paper cuts around her she gets pale and nearly passes out. It's hard not to mess with that.

Boy, I really digressed, didn't I?

But no amazing secrets tonight, either. The most "secret" thing I learned is that Husband comes home really sweaty and disgusting after double header softball games. I'm pretty sure that - before tonight - that was only a secret to him.

No comments: